"Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life." ~Henry L. Doherty

Monday, February 22, 2010

1. Pronouns

Before reading through this blog, please answer this question:

Which is correct?
a.) It is me.
b.) It is I.
--------------------
Review: Personal Pronouns


*sorry it's not allowed to upload a table here so just click on the image to enlarge*

RULE: A predicate nominative is in the nominative case.

Predicate Nominative
>> is a noun or pronoun in the predicate that refers to the same thing as the subject of the sentence and it follows a linking verb (am, is, are, may be, can be, will be, may have been, want to be, etc,).

Examples:
> It was they who are having a heated conversation.
> Who told you about it? It was she.
> It might have been he.
--------------------

So, the answer to the question is:
b.) It is I.

(Another dog called Battersea Dog's Home)
Other dog: Hello. Can I talk to Battersea Dog?
Battersea: It is I.
(Or he can also say "It is he." but since he's a dog, I think it's better to say, "It is it." Haha)


Now, you might think that it doesn't sound right to say "It is I". It is because the use of "me" or other pronoun in objective case as predicate nominative is widely accepted and you might often hear "It's me/him/us/them" rather than "It's I/he/we/they". In informal situations, it is acceptable to use objective case but if you are writing formal paper or speech or in examinations, it is still best to use the nominative case---the form "It's I."

Confused? Haha that's okay, you can't be wrong, they're both accepted anyway; it just depends on the situation. Try this exercise. Good luck!

Exercise: Supply the pronouns specified:
1. It might have been ______. (Third person singular, feminine.)
2. It could be _______. (third person plural)
3. That was ______. (third person singular, masculine)
4. It certainly wasn't ______. (third person plural)

Next time, I will discuss more on the use of 'me' and 'I'. ^_^

3 comments:

hide-san said...

konbanwa
you are really serious lady,aren't you? I've never used such as I or they^^@ every time, I usally use on an email "it's me". haha, what shall I do next time? I am not used to it. I am looking forward to talking about it at next rarejob lessons.^^ It's warm today in South and West Japan in 120 years as if spring has left and summer has come. By the way the deadline was 20 Spril then till 18th. sorry. m___m
H

Robin said...

I also express it like "it' me". But "it's I" and "It's he" are correct in grammar, aren't you. Spring is coming. I hope spring will come soon. It's comfortable season to play sports, going outside, and studying etc. Spring is something like a wakeup season and it is the season that Japanese people start something new. What will I start this spring ???

musang said...

@hide-san:
It's okay, "it's me" form is acceptable today that I will bet, some of your tutors also do not know that the correct form is "it's I". Haha. I just happen to take formal English lessons for the past semesters that these rules are still fresh in my mind. You can use "it's me". In fact, I encourage you to use this form except in formal occasions. ^_^

@robin:
I've been hearing a lot about spring lately from a lot of students. It makes me envy, you're lucky you experience different seasons. Spring sounds to me like something new is coming, something will "spring out". Maybe you could start on a new sport? I am into wall and rock climbing now, do Japanese like doing that? :)

Post a Comment