"Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life." ~Henry L. Doherty

Sunday, February 21, 2010

II. The Japanese Basic Grammar

After hundreds of teaching hours and hundreds of students, I still wonder about the following
(these are the common mistakes that my students make):

1. When a student talks in fragments, the sentence is either cut where the preposition should be or where a verb (usually taking a different form) is.


2. During a reading exercise, of course the reason for /r/ and /l/ mispronunciation I already know, but another thing which caught my attention is when students omit 's' at the end of plural nouns (that is very common).

3. Omission of articles. This also one of the parts of the sentence that students often forget: a, an, the.

Today, as I was reading the grammar section of my little booklet of Japanese phrase and dictionary, I finally found the answers to these questions! :D


I love these books. :)

So, I learned the following:

1. The Japanese verb has only two tenses: present and past. The future tense is only understood from the context. Interesting, it's much much simpler than English. (About prepositions: Well, I don't wonder much about the difficulty of students with the use of prepositions because IT IS REALLY HARD. Even I get confused sometimes. Haha!)

2. Plurals do not exist in Japanese language and all nouns have one single form which does not change according to the use of the noun in the sentence. I was studying Japanese before, how come I did not notice that earlier? ^_^

3. Pretty much the same reason as the second, article is often forgotten by the students because it also doesn't exist since the noun takes a single form. And so I learned that hon could mean book, a book, the book, books, or the books.

Now I know! ^__^


4 comments:

hide-san said...

You are very serious lady,aren't you? Wow you opinion is quite helpful for me to know the differnce between foreingn lungauge and Japanese. I would like to know more. And more about different culture between us. Yes we don't have the difference between the words of R and L, then it's hard to pronounce R and L. I am looking forward to reading your massage more. Hideshi

musang said...

Well, I'm not so serious but I love thinking. ^_^ I always think about everything, that's why I always have a headache. Haha.

Thanks for reading Hideshi-san. :)

Robin said...

I sometimes teach Japanese to a "rarejob" tutor. Then I find that there are some grammatical differences between English and Japanese and that I don't understand Japanese grammars well. I use Japanese every day, but I can not explain why some expressions are correct and some are not suitable. This is a valuable opportunity for me. This experience is also helpful to understand not only English, but also Japanese.

musang said...

It's understandable that you are not aware of your own language's grammar structure. It's the same with me, I also do not know how to teach Filipino grammar and sentence construction. Because it's my native tongue. I learned this language through observation and familiarization. Most Filipinos do not and can not speak or write correct Tagalog, strange isn't it? But Americans do not speak perfect English also. How about Japanese? Do Japanese speak correct Japanese? I know English rules because it's not my native tongue. I have to learn rules so I would learn the language. I am studying Japanese now and so I have to know Japanese grammar rules. But if I have stayed in an English country and learned English through observation, I bet I wouldn't be able to explain grammar rules also. Or if I stay in Japan for like 10 years and learn your language there, I wouldn't notice it's difference in other language also. Do you understand what I'm saying here? I hope so. I cannot explain further. Haha. ^_^

Post a Comment